Caprese Pasta Salad
September 22nd, 2010
Another item I made for our football weekend was a Caprese Pasta Salad. Caprese is a favorite in our house and I wanted to submit something to the Presto Pasta Nights event, hosted by Valerie at More than Burnt Toast. So it was the perfect reason to make a pasta salad.
Traditionally, fresh basil is an essential ingredient for Caprese however, I despise fresh basil. So to keep the dish somewhat authentic I used a basil pesto – which I love – instead. If you wanted a healthier version of the recipe, you could substitute the pesto for fresh basil and be sure to use a fat free vinaigrette.
- 1 box tubular pasta, prepared according to package directions
- 1-2 tablespoons basil pesto
- Balsamic vinaigrette (amount your prefer)
- 1.5 cups fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- After preparing pasta, drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Mix all ingredients together. Use the amount of balsamic vinaigrette you desire.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. You will likely need to add more vinaigrette dressing before serving (as much of it will have absorbed into the pasta).