Cheesy Ranch Potato Bake
July 8th, 2010
I made the Cheesy Ranch Potato Bake as written (mostly) by JENNIEBRIANNE at the All Recipes website several weeks back. It was very good! One of the best potato casseroles I’ve made, according to my husband!
I made the following variations to the recipe:
Simply Shreds Shredded Hash Brown instead of dicing potatoes – you know, to save time.
2 tablespoons of butter instead of 6 and melted not cubed.
Cheddar cheese instead of colby jack.
Added a thin layer of cornflake crumbs to the top.
I liked it, but thought it could be better – a little less “ranch-y” and maybe even a bit healthier.
So I decided to make this again with the following changes:
Cubed Yukon Gold potatoes instead of Simply Shreds.
1/2 of an 8 oz bottle of ranch dressing instead of the entire bottle.
1/2 cup lowfat sour cream (to make up for the other 4 oz of liquid I took away by halving the ranch dressing).
No cornflake crumbs.
Colby Jack cheese instead of cheddar.
Still, it was good but needed some tweaking. In fact, I think I like the first version a little better, but an amalgam of both would be ideal. So the final and best version of this recipe should be as follows
- 1 package Simply Shreds Hash Brown Potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 oz ranch dressing
- ½ cup low fat sour cream
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small casserole dish, toss potatoes with melted butter. Cover and bake 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Carefully mix in dressing, sour cream and cheese.
- Top with Cornflake Crumbs and put back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.